Friday, April 16, 2010

true love/ buffy

So today was interesting. It has just dawned on me that my first full year as a college student is almost over. True, it doesn't just seem like yesterday that I was starting, actually it feels like a couple of years but still I think I should savor this. It will be my first and last time as a freshman in college.
I wonder if that's what life is like all the time. I mean you have the first year of elementary school, first year of jr. high, first year of high school, first year of college, first year in a job, first year as a couple, first year as a parent, and so many other areas. Sure we get to move up gradually in all these areas but really once we pass these then we start all over in another area. I mean, yeah, you don't pass being a parent or being married in my book but all the others you grow out of. You still have those experiences behind you but you move out of those areas and into something totally new. I guess that's what life is about, new experiences and growth.
Ok, so I was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer today. I know some don't approve of it and some think it's dumb but watching it actually has some good points. Take Buffy and Angel for instance. Do you know how powerful their love is? I mean they were both willing to sacrifice so much for the other. So it got me to thinking. I know I think about this topic a pretty good bit but still I think on this one issue I should have a pretty good idea about what I want. Have you ever stopped to think about what you want out of life? Buffy and Angel wanted to be together but they couldn't. Yeah they could for a little while but not all their lives. It's just hard. Their relationship got me to thinking.
I know some people in my life think I'm naive and that may be true in many instances but I don't think it is true when it comes to love. Yeah I believe partially in fairy tales. Not the part about "happily ever after" but about true love, about a pure love. I mean if we can dream this idea up it has to be out there right? If God could love us as much as the Bible says he does then true love could be out there right? I'm not saying it's the cinderella true love or any of those princesses but the kind where two people can't wait to see each other in the morning. The kind of love where even when they fight they can kiss and make up right after or only a short time after. One where forgiveness is available no matter what they do because they can't see living a day without that person. One where they want to be part of every aspect of the other's life but not in a 'I don't trust you so I'm going to spy on you way' but in a 'I love you so I want to know all there is to know about you and spend every single one of my days trying to find out kinda way'. Some don't think it's out there but I do. Why? One simple answer- faith. I have faith that I will find a love like that and spend the rest of our lives loving each other 'until death do we part'. That's my idea of true love. It may sound naive but I believe it's out there and I'll find it one of these days.
Anyway, that's what the show got me to think about. Yeah kinda mushy but who knows, I may find it soon.

No comments: